Our Theology of Mission
We are in mission to witness to what God has done and is doing, and to learn from what God is doing in every land where disciples gather in the name of Jesus Christ.
Our Four Mission Goals
- Make disciples of Jesus Christ;
- Strengthen, develop, and renew Christian congregations and communities;
- Alleviate human suffering;
- Seek justice, freedom, and peace.
Community Volunteer Opportunities
The Volunteer Center – Building Vibrant Communities Through Service
The Volunteer Center was created in January of this year to help all people who are looking for a way to get engaged in our region. The program is an outreach effort of the Hinton Rural Life Center in Hayesville, NC. A variety of people are looking for ways to connect for various reasons. Sometimes it’s a retiree with extra time on their hands, looking for something purposeful and meaningful to do. Sometimes it’s a student seeking to create a volunteer resume for college or job applications. Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts have to get service hours to advance in rank. This gives anyone searching for volunteer opportunities a great place to start. Our online portal is searchable by key words, location, time and date, and skill set.
Our church is using the online portal to promote our volunteer opportunities. This gives our church a wider exposure to the community at large and it shows what we think is important as we reach out. We hope this will attract new people to the church as they see that our church is focused outward. This is important because people who serve the church and its mission are people who are engaged in the church. The online portal provides a clear path toward involvement. The challenge for many people who participate in a congregation is that they don’t know what to do to get involved. So far we have used the portal to recruit volunteers for the Special Olympics and for Financial Peace University. In addition, The Sharing Center, which is a food pantry located in the church, also has its volunteer opportunities posted.
I would encourage you to go out and look at what is available. Click Here To See Our Volunteer Opportunities.
Local Programs We Support
- Cherokee County Ministerial Association Relief Fund
- Hurlbut-Johnson Friendship House
- R.E.A.C.H of Cherokee County
- The Sharing Center – A ecumenical food pantry located in our church.
- Murphy Hope – our poverty initiative which offers long-term wrap around support to under-resourced families seeking opportunities.
Regional and National Programs We Support
International Programs We Support
- Project Agape Armenia – ministry to Armenia and to some of our most desperate Christian brothers and sisters — is a collaborative effort of the North Carolina and the Western North Carolina Conferences of The United Methodist Church in a joint effort with the Armenian Apostolic Church.
For inquiries about our mission and outreach programs, please email or call us.